What is under-performance?
- Unsatisfactory work performance (failure to perform the duties of the position or to perform them to the required standard)
- Non-compliance with workplace policies, rules or procedures
- Unacceptable behaviour in the workplace
- Disruptive or negative behaviour that impacts on co-workers.
Reasons for under-performance
Some common reasons:
- instructions unclear and unsure what is expected of them
- interpersonal clashes
- mismatch between employee capabilities and the job
- little or no feedback to guide employee
- lack of personal motivation, low morale
- personal issues eg. Stress, mental health, alcohol/drug problems
- cultural misunderstandings.
How to manage poor performance
- Identify the problem
- Assess and analyse the issue
- Organise a meeting to discuss
- Give notice and option to bring a support person
- Open honest meeting
- Give employee opportunity to respond or explain
- Devise solution – seek employee input
- Monitor performance